Pages

Thursday 13 November 2014

Taste vs Flavor

  1. There are 5 main flavour receptors. Sweet, Salty, Bitter, Sour and Umami.
List some foods fit each of the flavour receptors.  


Bitter
  • Coffee
  • grapefruit
  • karela
  • Artichokes
  • Broccoli
  • asparagus
Salty
  • sea salt
  • fish
Sour
  • sour lollies
  • lemon
  • lime
  • yoghurt
  • feijoa
Sweet
  • watermelon
  • chocolate
  • cotton candy
  • ice
Umami (savoury)
  • Egg
  • Chicken
  • Cabbage
  • Fish

Question: Do our taste buds require smell?

Hypothesis:

It tasted like sweet sugar but then when i unblocked my nose it tasted like blueberry


Materials:


Jelly Beans
Your hands
Your nose
Your eyes

Procedure:
  1. Blindfold cover your eyes
  2. Block nose
  3. Put jelly bean in mouth and chew (don’t swallow)
  4. Record the flavor you taste
  5. Unblock your nose
  6. Taste again
  7. Then record

Observations:

When i blocked my nose all i could taste was sugar which was disgusting. After i unblocked my nose i could taste the actual flavor which was blueberry



Conclusion:

My hypothesis was right because after I blocked my nose all I could taste was sugar and once I unblocked my nose it tasted like a blueberry, feijoa but still disgusting

No comments:

Post a Comment